This is my son’s favourite grain free bread, which is also extremely easy and quick to make..and it tastes great. It’s perfect for toasts, sandwiches, lunch boxes etc.
Below is the original recipe from Healthfulpursuit, which I have adapted slightly. I usually replace avocado/olive oil with melted extra virgin coconut oil –perfect cooking fat. I don’t mind the coconut taste and to be honest I can’t even taste it so much in this recipe, possibly because I’m used to it. It may make the texture less 'fluffy' so please do experiment. I also add one level tablespoon of lavender flowers (not too much as it can be overpowering) to make it even more flavourful.
I’ve just made one and decided to share.
Author: Leanne Vogel
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
- 2 cups roughly ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian herb mix
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 large eggs
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup avocado oil or light olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a 13x9 baking pan with parchment paper draped over the sides. Set aside.
- Combine flax seed with baking powder, herb mix and sea salt in a large bowl. Whisk to combine fully and set aside.
- Add eggs, water and oil to the jug of your high-powered blender. Blend on high for 30 seconds, until foamy.
- Transfer liquid mixture to the bowl with the flaxseed mixture. Stir with a spatula, just until incorporated. The mixture will be very fluffy. Once incorporated, allow to sit for 3 minutes.
- Drop mixture into prepared baking pan. Smooth with the back of the spatula and transfer the pan to the preheated oven.
- Bake bread for 20 minutes, until top is golden. Remove from the oven and lift bread (from the parchment paper sides) to a cooling rack. Peel the parchment paper from the bottom of the bread and allow the bread to cool on the cooling rack for an hour.
- Cut into 12 pieces.
- Bread can be toasted or frozen. Keeps in the fridge for 3-4 days and in the freezer for up to 3 months.